Live blogging from UYWI
"Have You Seen Your Kids' MySpace?" DESCRIPTION:
Radioactive B!+@H, Suckanut Slut, Boyish Sex Machine, NaughtyXXXAsh - porn stars or teens on MySpace? "Why should I care so much for everyone else when no one gives a s!*# about me?" "y do guys ... say that they like u but make u feel like s!*#?" "I will get you drunk and help you plot revenge against the sorry b@$!@&! who made you sad." "Why is it that life sucks?" "my mother ... i can't stand her!" Welcome to the world of teenagers, in their own words. These are just a few of the online identities and comments generated by teens on Myspace as they wrestle with emotional conflicts, relationship dramas, family strife, sexuality, and purpose. Businessweek calls the 70+ million young people with Myspace accounts (plus millions using other online social networks) the "Myspace Generation." How should the church engage?Internet Usage
- 87% of kids 12-17 use internet
- Multimedia - 6.5 hrs/day watching tv, listening to music, playing video games, searching the web
- Multi-tasking - 1.75 hrs/day intaking media simultaenously
- Social networking - 1 hr. 22 min. /day (Myspace, Sconex, Friendster, Xanga, etc)
- 2.5 times more traffic than Google.
- Membership quadrupled in 2005 to 40 million by december
- 79 millon today
- Rupert Murdoch bought Myspace for 580 million in 7/05
- Genesis 11:1-9 - Tower of Babel Common language (v. 1), interconnected community (Shinar, v.2), and technological innovation (bricks, v. 3) meant: "If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them." (v.6)
- Today, computers provide common language (first time since Babel), interconnectedness, and technological innovation.
- At Babel, competence without character corrupted community and created cultural chaos. Thus, God dispersed the people by confusing language.
- Could it be that today, God invites Acts 2 infilling of the Holy Spirit to redeem community, even in cyberspace?
- More here.
Related: "It's Nice to be Naughty": Myspace and SEX Get to know your teenagers Behind the curve, again The web is evil When posts collide What people are talking about on Myspace Who holds Rupert Murdoch accountable? Myspace and political activism MySpace Invaders; New Online Star Streaking Past Google Myspace Cheat Sheet for Parents Boys help cops catch Myspace sex fiend In case you missed this Kudos where it's due 8-14 year olds send 14.4 text messages and make 8.8 cell phones ...