Fathering the fatherless: Nine practical suggestions
From "Caleb's Promise":
- Frame the issue so it's personal. Allow God to turn your heart toward a real child.
- Ask God for eyes to see and ears to hear the need in your local context.
- Take the initiative to reach out to the specific child, and his/her family, in creative ways.
- Hold onto the relationship for the long-term.
- Endure the down-times, misbehavior, and possible resentment that you're not biologically related.
- Resist the urge to preach all the time. Meeting felt needs by being present and involved goes much farther than having all the right answers.
- Invest in their future by exposing them to and even financing educational and professional opportunities.
- Notice and praise both their character and achievements.
- Guide them through life's milestones: school graduations, adolescence, first crushes, weddings, etc.