Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Bachelorhood, Munich and Hockey

I haven't been a bachelor in almost nine years, so I'm a bit rusty. But with Diana and Judah gone to Massachusetts for a few days to drive Willie and Amber back home, I treated myself to a movie last night (bad planning and a NorEaster meant I went alone -- how dull!), and my brother Jamie took me to a NHL Ranger game tonight. As much fun as bachelorhood may be, I prefer happily married any day. The movie was Munich, and it lived up to its provocative hype. I'm not a big fan of revisionist history, and what I've read about the film suggests some revisionism contributed to its "inspired by true events" disclaimer. So as a history lesson, it's apparently unreliable. But as a film intended to provoke thought, it succeeds in making one pause to consider whether Jesus' response to Pontius Pilate and the Sanhedrin, Martin Luther King's response to Jim Crow, and Ghandi's response to colonialism in India might have been a wiser response to Black September and the terror that ensnared the world more than 30 years ago. Provocations aside, this is not a film for teens as it includes two sex scenes - without explicit nudity - and two explicit nude scenes - without sex. As for the Rangers, they lost a nail bighter, 1-0 in overtime.

2 Comments:

At 1/07/2006 04:59:00 PM, Blogger John Liotti said...

I liked Munich. I was happy that they didn't just glorify the repsonse Mossad had after the homicides. I really don't know enough to say whether or not it was a trustworthy historical record. The overall theme of the effect of revenge was a good one. I had dreams about the movie for two nights after.

As for the Rangers, I can't help you. I'm dealing with my own issues with the SJ Sharks.

 
At 1/17/2006 02:21:00 AM, Blogger בְּשֵם יְהוָֹה וְיֵשׁוּעַ וְרוחַ מִרְיָם said...

Whitey analogy: terrorism and hockey. Akin to iranian prez claiming to be Christ at the u.n. babel

On a lighter note:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=48225

 

Post a Comment

<< Home