Ten Facts About New York City's Children
1. One out of every 4 people in NYC is a child.
2. Every day 337 babies are born to NYC residents.
3. Every day 2 babies die before their first birthday.
4. Every day many babies are born at risk:
- 174 babies are born into poor families.
- 25 babies are born to teen parents.
- 22 babies are born to mother with inadequate prenatal care.
- 29 babies are born with low birthweight.
5. Every day 541,985 children live in poverty.
6. Every day 16,404 children are homeless.
7. Every 4 days a young person under 19 is murdered.
8. Every day 57% of all elementary and middle school students read below State & City standards.
9. Every week 15,168 children use mental health services.
10. Every day 144 children are reported abused or neglected.
And for affect, my favorite:
11. 1.1 million public school students, making the New York City public school population, by itself, the tenth largest city in America!
(Source: Keeping Track of New York's Children
, Citizens Committee for Children)