Sunday, October 16, 2005

He messed up my sermon

At NYU's InterVarsity (MEF) meeting last Thursday, a student named Gerard messed up my sermon. Just kidding. Actually, he enhanced it even though his testimony compelled me to change the scripture text minutes before speaking. Born and raised in the Philipines, Gerard moved to the U.S. as a teenager when his mother got a job at UNICEF. Her position earned him, a high school student who could care less about her job, "all the benefits of a diplomat." They had asked me to speak about the intersection of faith and vocation and social justice (quite a combination!) and I intended to preach out of Jeremiah 29, with references to Daniel, Esther, and Nehemiah. Instead, I preached 2 Corinthians 5 for 35 minutes and summarized the rest in 5. I love it when a plan comes together! PS. Gerard mentioned that he was 5 during the Gulf War. Five! I was a senior in high school. I think I had my first official senior moment.

1 Comments:

At 10/17/2005 02:49:00 AM, Blogger Bob said...

I was fresh out of college and my fiancee (now wife of 14+ years) was worried about a draft.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home