Thursday, December 15, 2005

In their own words

"Why should I care so much for everyone else when no one gives a s!*# about me?" "y do guys have to say the wrong things, @ the wrong time, @ the wrong places...just to say that they like u but make u feel like s!*#?" "When you are sad, ....I will get you drunk and help you plot revenge against the sorry b@$!@&! who made you sad." "Why is it that life sucks? Why couldn't I have just been happy with it when I had it?" "every freaking thing is going wrong. because of my mother who doesn't freaking listen. ... i can't stand her!" "Ima turn you straight......and blow your back out....lol"

Welcome to the world of teenagers, in their own words. These are just a few of the online comments generated by teens I know. They're good kids -- great kids, actually -- but they're finding their way and trying to make sense of emotional conflicts, relationship dramas, family strife, sexuality, purpose. All the important stuff that too many adults never figure out either.

Don't condescend to them or resent them or give up on them.

Seek to understand them. Hear them. Forgive them. Restore them. Guide them. Love them.

Easier said than done? What do you think?

2 Comments:

At 12/15/2005 01:24:00 PM, Blogger Ralph Castillo said...

My heart breaks...comments like these from young people fuel my passion to "get with" them in the stuggle...even if I don't have a satisfactory answer at the end. I wonder if these kids really care what we know...I think they just want to know that somebody cares...and once we earn their repsect...we can lead them to right thinking which results in right behavior...

Ralph

 
At 12/15/2005 03:17:00 PM, Blogger deanna said...

I hope there are more people like you around when my kids are teenagers!! and don't want to be anywhere near me. God Bless You!! and your ministry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home