Monday, March 14, 2005

Heros among us

Inspired by faith and a willingness to treat a mass murderer humanely, 26-year old Ashley Smith heroically survived capture by Atlanta courthouse shooting suspect Brian Nichols.

Smith said she asked Nichols if she could read. She retrieved a Bible and a copy of "The Purpose-Driven Life." She said he asked her to repeat a paragraph "about what you thought your purpose in life was -- what talents were you given."

Smith said she asked Nichols why he chose her.

"He said he thought I was an angel sent from God, and that I was his sister and he was my brother in Christ," she said. "And that he was lost, and that God led him to me to tell him that he had hurt a lot of people."

"I basically just talked to him and tried to gain his trust."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home