Sunday, February 06, 2005

Ho Hum Holiday

The high holy day of American sport is over. Could there have been a less desirable match-up for a New York football fan than the Eagles (a Giants rival) and the Patriots (a Jets Rival)? As someone who roots for the Jets except for when they play the Giants, I had to begrudgingly root for the Patriots, who sealed their fate as a bona fide dynasty with their third title in four years. Thank God Super Bowl XXIX is history. To those who wonder how a diehard Yankee fan could even consider rooting for the football team that rescucitated the hopes and dreams of Boston baseball fans four years ago, good question. I wrestled with this one too. The best I could come up with is: (1) I love the Giants (and by extention loathe the Eagles) more than I hate the Patriots; (2) you can't watch the Super Bowl and not pick a team to root for, even if it's a lousy choice; (3) the Belichek juggernaut got launched in New York during coaching stints with both the Giants and Jets; and most importantly (4) -- Red Sox fans take note -- the Patriots remind me of the most recent Yankee dynasty of 1996-2000 that won 4 in 5 playing team ball more than relying on superstars. That said, we had a great time watching the game at Uncle Rich and Aunt Michele's house in south Jersey. My twin cousins Erika and Kevin turn seventeen tomorrow (and celebrate with their road tests at 9 am -- good luck!), so we coupled the Super Bowl fiesta with cake for them. One postscript, I think my uncle fixed the Super Bowl pool. After coaxing cash totaling $300 out of every guest, he won the grand prize of $150, and my aunt (his brother's wife) won $75.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home