Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Word of the week

Resuming a pseudo-tradition (is it tradition yet when you've done something just twice?), this week's totally random Word of the Week. I literally opened a dictionary and it lept off the page at me:

Shavian: n. An admirer of George Bernard Shaw. adj. Of, pertaining to, or like George Bernard Shaw.
Can you imagine having so much impact on culture that someone invents a word to describe fans and imitators? George Bernard Shaw was a character, a literary genius and religious skeptic who famously said, "I am an atheist and thank God for it." He also penned one of my all-time favorite quotes:
"Some look at things that are, and ask why. I dream of things that never were and ask why not?"
Other Shavian quotes of note:
"He who can, does. He who cannot, teaches." "Nothing is worth doing unless the consequences may be serious." "People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." "I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation." "I want to be all used up when I die."

1 Comments:

At 11/18/2005 03:05:00 PM, Blogger urBenLA said...

rock on... they used a quote from GBS on School of Rock! That's pretty notable. Talk about connecting the generations.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home