Sunday, September 18, 2005

What would you do?

I just found out that a minister who fled New York in disgrace four years ago due to a sordid sex scandal is now the president of a prominent ministry leadership network, on the speaking circuit again, and on the boards of several global ministries, including one devoted to marriage integrity. The scandal rocked his congregation -- devastating, among other things, what was a thriving youth ministry -- and he never acknowledged wrong doing. Once exposed, he denied the allegations, yet resigned his pastorate and went into hiding. Now he's turned up on the west coast. At no point has he sought forgiveness or did he attempt to make peace with the congregation that he betrayed. Things like this make my blood boil. While I believe in restoration and second chances, I also believe in repentance and restitution. Part of me wants to send a letter to the boards of the various ministries alerting them of the damage he left behind in New York and suggesting that they investigate the circumstances of his move. Part of me thinks this is none of my business and I should simply pray for him and those he influences. What do you think?

3 Comments:

At 9/19/2005 12:04:00 AM, Blogger Bob said...

I think it somewhat depends on how close you are to the situation. If you know the people involved and know there has been no repentence, and are confident of guilt, then the question should certainly be raised.

The second part of that is in how you raise it. Raising the question as just that, "I don't know what knowledge you have of this situation, but here is what I know. Has something changed that I am unaware of which would cause this person to be qualified for ministry?" is a way of addressing the question without blasting people out of the water. Of course, its highly likely people will be shocked in the first place, but at least you're not coming across as someone with a vendetta.

Situations like this are very difficult because of the time-space issues involved. At the same time, due diligence should be done to make sure people have been living with integrity.

 
At 9/19/2005 10:42:00 AM, Blogger Jeremy Del Rio said...

I was not a member of the church, so I had some distance from the situation. But I am very good friends with former leaders of the church and witnessed the devastation through their eyes.

 
At 9/19/2005 08:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tough one. I know a woman who was part of a ministry cover up with all kinds of madness and abuse... whose now running a ministry 10 states away. Scary how people resurface to contniue the damage. Part of me wants to write down there and just let the people know to run as fast and as far away as possible. You would think that people would read Timothy and Titus and be careful about who they appoint to lead the people of God. Of course, most of these leaders appoint/anoint themselves... but again, why the people in the church don't see through the charade I'm never sure. Praying tonight, I'll pray that you have either a peace about this or a budren to act.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home