Saturday, September 24, 2005

I love it when ...

Authors do what they say they're going to do, and they do it well. Malcolm Gladwell delivers. I read Tipping Point several months ago and finished Blink this week. Tipping Point explores the dynamics of how some ideas become movements that penetrate cultures and transform societies, while Blink examines how individuals make decisions, and how they can make better decisions more quickly. In Blink, Gladwell sets out to accomplish three "tasks":

  1. Persuade readers that quick decisions can be every bit as reliable, and at times even better, than those made cautiously and deliberately;
  2. Identify when we should question our instincts rather than trust them; and
  3. Show how snap judgements can be educated and cotrolled.

It's a fascinating read. Hopefully I'll have time next week to write about some of his conculsions.

1 Comments:

At 9/26/2005 09:19:00 PM, Blogger Jerry Novick said...

I read Blink a few months ago. Not only did I find his theories fascinating, but Gladwell can also flat out write. Sometimes books like this can be dry, but he made it a compelling read.

I need to pick up or borrow a copy of Tipping Point after I get through a couple of the marriage books my Pastor lent us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home