Saturday, September 10, 2005

The Heart of a Shepherd

Just before bedtime, Judah began to cry. Not a wimper and sniffle, but deep, profound sobbing from his gut. He began to shake and say that he was crying for the people "affected by the hurricane." He had prayed for them just a few minutes before, prayed that God would give them "a new life, a better life" after the storm. But the reality of their situation hit him hard, and he cried to Di and me that he wanted to go "help them, but it's too late," because the hurricane came and went and their homes are already destroyed. We promised that he was helping by praying, and that was the best help he could give. "No, I want to go there and rescue them, but it's too late." It's never too late to love them, we promised. Yeah, "but it's too late to pull them out of the water." With that, Judah started to preach. I remembered that my phone was on the table by his bed, so I recorded the end of his message. "I want to go to states where people are homeless, don't have any food or mom or dad, I want to try and find their mom and dad and I want to try and find them food and love them." The people who don't know God, "I want them to know God and be a Christian like me and you." Even though he can't personally go to help the hurricane victims, he decided, "Praying is the best way to save them now because we can't go there and save them." In the meantime, Judah and I made a date with destiny for Saturday night. We'll go to Abounding Grace to feed the homeless of our great city and love them at the Apple's Core Coffee House. This shepherd boy has a few more giants to slay.

1 Comments:

At 9/10/2005 01:49:00 AM, Blogger Christop said...

Hey, I'm really touched by this story. Thanks for sharing it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home