Sunday, August 21, 2005

Another pain in the backside

[Originally drafted August 9.] Last week and weekend were emotionally grueling. Wednesday, Nonna was sent home with bad news. Thursday, a dear friend had a miscarriage, and on Friday, Caleb was killed in a tragic car accident [8/3-5]. I left Baltimore Monday evening around 5 to return to New York. Exhausted, I pulled into a rest stop for a nap around 7:30. By 9, I was finally crossing the Goethels Bridge from New Jersey into Staten Island. I called my wife to tell her I would be home in 15 minutes, without traffic. As the conversation ended, a horrible noise and gyrating sensation filled the car. My tire blew out. Not just a flat. A bona fide blow out, with shredded rubber hanging from the rim (another end-of-lease expense to worry about when we return the car at the end of the month). Hazzards on, I rolled the car to the base of the bridge determined to change the tire and get home as fast as possible. But the trunk was full, so getting the spare was a project that required wading through summer toys, baby toys we need to get rid of, random tools we never use, and too much junk to list properly here. With the curbside littered with enough trash to hold a garage sale I finally got to the spare, but the tool bag was empty! The essentials needed to remove the tire, most notably the tire's anti-theft key, had fallen into the abyss. Frustrated and exhausted, I called Diana and acted the fool on the phone, blaming her for the trunk (like I've ever really considered cleaning it out) and the empty tool bag. Thank God for a merciful wife. Let's pray for a merciful Volkswagen Credit inspector.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home