Tuesday, May 17, 2005

This is why she's on our board

"I have heard many times, from students who share the distinction of coming from the 'projects,' that their deepest fear is to try to 'finish college,' 'lead a ministry,' etc. -- and fail. As a certified project girl I would like to challenge that. I think the 'project plight' lies not in the fear of failure, but in the fear of success. Failure, despair, struggle, and 'the hustle to get by' -- we project folk know those experiences in and out. But to walk into unfamiliar, hostile territories and expect, to desire success -- well that’s something that I haven’t quite had the opportunity to practice too often. So I write all of this to say that the plight of a girl from the projects lives on. The elevators with pee have been replaced with conference rooms with condensation; but the hope, thank God, remains the same."
From Mayra Lopez-Humphreys, MSW, here. Mayra, associate professor of Social Work at Nyack College, is one of Generation Xcel's incoming board members, along with Rick Edrich, president of Spot Creative; Chris Eddy, co-owner of Barmarche; Evelyn DeJesus, UFT delegate; Kevin Cedeno, high school senior, and Lorreal Torres, high school junior.

1 Comments:

At 5/31/2005 08:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello jeremy,

I just returned from sunny Miami and was catching up on my blog reading. Thank you for your support and comments regarding my well-worn angst. We truly do need to know we are not alone in this work we call "kingdom building".

Seeking His Peace,
Mayra

 

Post a Comment

<< Home