Friday, February 25, 2005

This is why ordinary people resent politicos

"Ten days ago a reporter interviewed [Hillary Clinton] in the halls of the Senate ... and asked if she planned to run for president. She did not say, "I'm too busy serving the people of New York to think about the future." She did not say, "Oh, I already have a heckuva lot on my plate." She said, "I have more than I can say grace over right now." "I have more than I can say grace over right now. What a wonderfully premeditated ad lib for the Age of Red State Dominance. I suggested a few weeks ago that Mrs. Clinton was about to get very, very religious. But her words came across as pious and smarmy, like Tammy Faye with a law degree." - From Peggy Noonan (WSJ, 2/24/05)

We knew her husband was a master (draft and truth) dodger. Hillary's no slouch herself, along with lots of other slick tongued politicians.

Whatever happened to the idea of statescraft, where public officials are encouraged to say what they mean and mean what they say? The never ending dance with truthfulness is why so many people have found W refreshing. Whether you agree with his policies or not, he leaves audiences with little need to parce his words. If anything, he's been criticized as too brash, too blunt, too direct in his manner of speaking. Like him or leave him, you'll never hear him challenge the meaning of the word "is," for example.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home