Tuesday, September 06, 2005

It's nice when family treats you like family (even though you're also perfect strangers)

On Wednesday night, we visited my grandfather's wife Mary, and my dad's Uncle Isaac and his family at Uncle Isaac's house. What a blast! It was great seeing Mary again. She met Judah once, when he was first born, and Diana twice. She's quite the storyteller who enjoyed sharing (too much?) about the time Abuelo took Jonathan and me to the finca (farm) in Puerto Rico to pick coffee beans and returned us to the house covered head-to-toe in mud. Plus, her arroz con home grown gandules rocks!

[Diana and Judah with Abuela Mary]
I met Uncle Isaac once before, as a boy, when we visited my father's grandmother at his house before she died. Of course I had no memory of how funny he is, but his dry humor hooked me all night. Except for Reuben, his children (my dad's first cousins) are just a few years older than me. Hopefully, we'll meet some day.
Odette and I met for the first time through the power of cyberspace last year, when someone (Uncle Miky?) forwarded my email about dad's motorcycle miracle. We've corresponded regularly since then (she's even posted several comments here) and it was a joy to meet her in person. What a gracious and generous host, and delightful cook.
Their son Reuben is a special kid. He's 12, incredibly well-spoken and polite, and a complete gentleman to our 4-year-old. Judah found an instant friend. Of course, it didn't hurt Reuben's cool-quotient that he gave Judah two bags of toys!

1 Comments:

At 9/09/2005 12:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God has certainly prepared you for such a time as this. It was an honor to have you, Diana & Judah. Come back with the rest of the family. Keep nourishing the youth of New York City!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home