Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Reading list

I just added four books to my summer reading list: 1776, by David McCullough; When Character was King, by Peggy Noonan; The Story We Find Ourselves in, and The Last Word and the Word After that, by Brian McLaren. I started The Story this morning on the train and missed my subway stop (twice). Any recommendations for a good novel or two? I enjoy classics like Les Mis and Uncle Tom's Cabin, modern legal thrillers like The Firm, and historical epics like ShoGun. I'm not much of a fantasy or Sci-Fi fan, although the Chronicles of Narnia, which I read as a boy, are among my all-time favorites. A mixed literary bag, I know, but if the story grabs me, I'll enjoy it. I haven't finished The Mystery of Capital yet, because it's too deep to fully digest with the whirlwind of activity right now. But I'll get back to it too before the summer's over.

3 Comments:

At 6/23/2005 06:23:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i picked up 1776 on my way home from chicago, i'm halfway through, it's great

mystery of capital: jump ahead to one of the latter chapters where he discusses the future of marxism, good stuff

 
At 6/24/2005 03:35:00 AM, Blogger Jerry Novick said...

Well, novels... Let's see...

My all-time favorite is A Prayer for Owen Meany by Jonathan Irving.

I also loved Beach Music by Pat Conroy.

That's just 2 off the top of my head during an insomniac moment...

 
At 6/24/2005 02:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

J, I've been told that McLaren's later book is more constructive, as opposed to Different Kind of Christian, which was more ponting out problems but not offering solutions. I don't know if I'd give him 2 reads in 1 year though. You have to read Moneyball... great insight for operating GenXcel financially... if Billy Beane could do it with the A's you can do it there. PLus it's about baseball. Also, there's a book called Future Men... about raising sons who love Christ but are not feminine, wussy evangelicals.

Excited about getting to chat here in Bahston in a couple of weeks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home